Friday, April 1, 2011

Surprise...

Yesterday was Sutton's 35th birthday!  We had decided earlier in the week to have a date night to celebrate!  However, because 35 is a "big" birthday I made other plans...
The Plan:
Have our sitter come at 6 so we could go downtown for a pre-dinner drink at 101 then walk to Jasmine's (sushi bar) for dinner, where I would have some of Sutton's close friends join us for dinner as a surprise!
What actually happened:
Sitter came (as planned), Sutton was late (as usual).  Sutton rolled in about 6:15ish, and I was finishing dinner preparations for the kids.  Lizzy, our sitter, was in the playroom with Palmer.  I heard her say, "Palmer you better sit down or you're going to fall."  Not thinking much, I continued to serve plates.  Lizzy came in the kitchen to help me.  Moments later, we heard a thud followed by an ear piercing scream!
Palmer fell off the couch backwards and hit the back of her head on the edge of the coffee table.  I picked her up to console her, trying to assess her injury.  (Those of you with girls can probably relate...you never can tell the severity of an injury by a girl's scream.)  Because I came from the kitchen, I had a dish rag in my hand, and for whatever reason, I held it to the back of her head.  I pulled it off...BLOOD!  Oh no!  At this point, the main goal was to NOT let Palmer know she was bleeding (Again, those of you with girls can relate!).  I held the dish towel tight against the back of her head in hopes to stop the bleeding.  I continued to give Jackson tasks to keep him out of the room to prevent the blood spotting announcement!  The bleeding finally stopped, meanwhile, the crying still continued.  The injury although bled quite a bit, wasn't very bad!  I was able to get Palmer to take some Motrin and finally able to calm her down enough to eat. 
At this point in the night, it was about 6:55 (so much for our pre-dinner drink), we were expected to be at Jasmine's at 7 for the surprise (remember Sutton knows nothing about this).  Not wanting to leave Palmer upset, we stuck around for a bit...Once we (and she) realized she WAS going to make it, we made our exit (20 mins late).
We parked, and began walking towards the restaurant.  Sutton recognized 3 cars (of friends that were inside anxiously awaiting his arrival) along the way and didn't put two and two together!  Upon entering the restaurant, Sutton got a glimpse of his brother in the back room, "Hey there's Collins!" Still NO clue!  We walked into the room and he was truly surprised to see great friends there to celebrate with!
Despite the rocky start, it was a wonderful birthday celebration!  

***

Surprise!











 HAPPY 35TH BIRTHDAY HONEY...I LOVE YOU!



In case you were wondering...Palmer has made a full recovery!


1 comment:

  1. Haha! I was just about to ask about Miss Priss :) Happy birthday Sutton!! Good job holly!! You are awesome for pulling it off, even with P's curveball :)

    ReplyDelete